I am completely flexible and can work with you and your project wherever you are in the process. Below is my typical ‘8 step’ example of how I work with singers & songwriters who want to produce their own song:
- You send over your demos and we discuss how you’d like the song(s) to be developed (e.g. instrumentation, ‘feel’, tempo, lyrics etc)
- I will produce a rough draft sample (20 or 30 seconds) of the song so you can let me know if it’s going in the direction you’d like it to. If yes, onto step 3, if no I will keep working on a sample until I’ve got it right for you.
- I will compose and produce the full song backing track for you and send it over as an MP3. If you’re happy with it, onto step 4, if not I’ll keep working on it based on your feedback.
- If you’re a singer, this is when you can record your vocals, either remotely or at my studio. If you are looking to involve other musicians or singers it’s at this stage that you’d do so, or if it’s an instrumental track skip to step 6.
- I will mix the vocals into the song, which I will send over to you. If you’re happy with it, onto step 6, if not I can re-process your vocals or in some cases singers like to record a new take.
- I will mix the song fully now – so everything is balanced and the levels, panning, EQ, compression etc is all fixed in place. I will send this over to you. If you’re happy with it, onto step 7, if not I will remix until you’re happy with it.
- I will master the song so it is radio-ready, polished and fully professional. I will send it over for you to double check. If you’re happy with it onto step 8, if not I will re-master.
- I will deliver the song in whatever format(s) you require.
Obviously, there are many other ways to work and I am completely flexible to work in ways that suit you and your purposes better. The best way to get the ball rolling is to discuss the song or project either by email, phone or video call so that we can flesh out the project, timelines and other logistics to make it a success.